David J Taylor wrote:
> For those without wide-bandwidth academic connections - those folks on
> cable or ADSL - how good is an "equal split round trip" assumption?

I calculated this for my case once (3840 kbit/s down and 512 kbit/s up). The
difference in transmission time due only to the different bitrates was about
1.2ms in my case.

This is however only the best case, because it assumes that the uplink is not
saturated. If it is, and if you are able to prioritise your upstream NTP
packets over all other traffic, then you need to add half of the transmission
latency of the average upstream packet to the above 1.2ms.

To give you some idea, assuming that the uplink is saturated due to a file
upload (i.e. MTU-sized packets), this brings the difference in latency to
14.4ms (including the above 1.2ms).

If you cannot control upstream priority queuing, then the upstream latency
depends on the total size of your upstream queue, which may add several
MTU-sized packet transmission times to the difference (in my case, 26.5ms times
three plus 1.2ms).

This is then really the worst case, because it assumes that the downlink is not
saturated so that there is no queueing on the ISP's side.

Cheers, Jan