David Woolley wrote:
> I suspect most severe asymmetry cases actually happen because the
> downlink is saturated.  That's is exacerbated by the fact that it is
> more difficult to get the ISP to prioritise, than to do it yourself.

There is no point to large amounts of buffering in the ISP's edge router. Any
such motivation would result from the expectation that downstream saturation is
temporary(*). It isn't, and routers have no option but to drop packets when
faced with saturation. Adding memory merely postpones (usually by only a very
short period of time) the dropping of packets.

In the uplink case I described, the buffer is also only 3 packets' worth. I
suspect that the buffer in the ISP's edge router will be similarly-sized (if
that). Of course, this buffer will drain (or turn over) much more quickly given
the higher downstream bitrate.

(*): That, or multiple queues in support of QoS features which are absent from
edge routers used for consumer internet access.

> ADSL has a higher download speed because most users receive much more
> than they transmit.

Obviously.

Jan