Hello Richard ,

On Fri, 8 Jan 2010, Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
Michael Moroney wrote:
David Woolley <da...@ex.djwhome.demon.invalid> writes:

Michael Moroney wrote:

that synchronizes with the four clocks, and ntpq> peers shows one of the
primaries with a "*" in the first column meaning it was synchronized to as
time source, the other 3 show "+" as expected, meaning they are usable
sources.  We disconnect the antenna of the selected clock.  As expected

* and + mean they are used, not just that they are usable. The time used to discipline the clock is a weighted average of all of them.

If it uses all of them, what is the difference between "*" and "+"?
It still doesn't explain why the disconnected clock doesn't get dropped.

"*" designates the primary source of time. "+" designates an "advisory" source. It's available for use if something happens to the primary source.

See Dave Mills' book on NTP, and RFC-1305. RFC-1305 is for V3 of NTP. There's an RFC in preparation for V4 but as of the last time I heard it was being written by a committee and may be released sometime in the next decade!

        http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/ntpdc.html

        To Quote:
"
peers
Obtains a list of peers for which the server is maintaining state, along with a summary of that state. Summary information includes the address of the remote peer, the local interface address (0.0.0.0 if a local address has yet to be determined), the stratum of the remote peer (a stratum of 16 indicates the remote peer is unsynchronized), the polling interval, in seconds, the reachability register, in octal, and the current estimated delay, offset and dispersion of the peer, all in seconds.

The character in the left margin indicates the mode this peer entry is operating in. A + denotes symmetric active, a - indicates symmetric passive, a = means the remote server is being polled in client mode, a ^ indicates that the server is broadcasting to this address, a ~ denotes that the remote peer is sending broadcasts and a * marks the peer the server is currently synchronizing to.

The contents of the host field may be one of four forms. It may be a host name, an IP address, a reference clock implementation name with its parameter or REFCLK(implementation number, parameter). On hostnames no only IP-addresses will be displayed.
"
                Hth ,  JimL