Richard B. Gilbert wrote:
Michael Moroney wrote:
David Woolley <da...@ex.djwhome.demon.invalid> writes:

Michael Moroney wrote:

that synchronizes with the four clocks, and ntpq> peers shows one of the primaries with a "*" in the first column meaning it was synchronized to as
time source, the other 3 show "+" as expected, meaning they are usable
sources.  We disconnect the antenna of the selected clock.  As expected

* and + mean they are used, not just that they are usable. The time used to discipline the clock is a weighted average of all of them.

If it uses all of them, what is the difference between "*" and "+"?
It still doesn't explain why the disconnected clock doesn't get dropped.

"*" designates the primary source of time. "+" designates an "advisory" source. It's available for use if something happens to the primary source.

You are making the same mistake that he was making. * means the source of time used to determine the stratum, and downstream root distance and dispersion. + and * both mean that the time is being used to discipline the local clock. + is not a standby, as far as disciplining the clock is concerned; + entries are actively used to discipline the clock.

On V3, the time used to discipline the local clock is a weighted average based on a quality metric - I forget exactly which one. I'm not so sure that V4 applies as much weighting.