"Uwe Klein" <uwe_klein_habertw...@t-online.de> wrote in message news:r91037-grd....@klein-habertwedt.de...
David J Taylor wrote:
[]
I would still very much like to have a low-powered (watts) system running NTP perhaps with a good (for timekeeping) FreeBSD version. Something the size of a home router, with a serial port for the GPS. Looking for better than (say) ten microsecond accuracy. About US $100-150.

Unpack and Work or Fiddle a Bit ?

For Fiddle a Bit:
There is a wide spectrum of hardware available.
Take any of the Low Cost Thin clients ( Linux on ARM )
Take any of the "InternetRadio" sets ( same, Linux on ARM )

Take any of the Low Cost Router/WlanAccessPoint Hardware that
can have OpenWRT or similar installed. ( Linux on usually ARM )
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_router_or_firewall_distributions
Some even have ntpd in their package repository ;-)

uwe

Thanks for that, Uwe.  Ideally, unpack and work!

A lot of hardware either doesn't have the serial port, or is grossly over-priced (as it may be intended for "industrial" applications).

I think I would want a ready-to-run NTP, as I don't "do" Linux. Something configurable via a Web interface.

Routers would indeed be a good choice, but there are hundreds! Someone must have already researched the possibilities and be able to advise models with a serial port and quality NTP?

  • Re: [ntp:quest... David J Taylor
    • Re: [ntp:... Martin Burnicki
      • Re: [... David J Taylor
        • R... Martin Burnicki
          • ... David J Taylor
          • ... Evandro Menezes
          • ... David J Taylor
          • ... Evandro Menezes
          • ... David J Taylor
          • ... Uwe Klein
          • ... David J Taylor
          • ... David Lord
          • ... David J Taylor
          • ... Richard B. Gilbert
          • ... John Hasler
          • ... Richard B. Gilbert
          • ... John Hasler
          • ... E-Mail Sent to this address will be added to the BlackLists
          • ... unruh
          • ... Uwe Klein
          • ... Uwe Klein