"David Lord" <sn...@lordynet.org> wrote in message news:7s5qdof6l...@mid.individual.net...
[]
Not yet using this but have a 20 quid+vat router type board here
from Omnima.co.uk that has ADM5120P chip, wan + 4xlan ethernet,
2xusb but serial need some wiring. Will run Linux and can be
supplied with Squidge on CD, also for me will run NetBSD. Bit on
top end for power

That looks very neat - you could get the enclosure from them, and perhaps the power adaptor as well. I do wonder, though, whether by the time you've bought that, you might have paid as much as for a low-end router?

There's also an ARM based device for under 30quid that will run
from power via USB connection, but wouldn't be as easy to get
going for what I need although with more onboard flash and ram.
Google for "bifferboard"

! Bifferboard. 150MHz CPU, Intel 486SX instruction set,
! MMU. 1 watt power consumption (200mA @5v);
! 68mm x 28mm x 21mm (weight 28g); 32MB SDRAM/8MB Flash

I was worried that SX might be npu deficient and may cause
problems. Both my 486sx have addon 486dx for npu.

David

Now the "bifferboard" is exceptionally neat! Would hang off the back of a PC or could be powered from my existing power box for the GPS 18 LVC. You get something like that working with the GPS 18 and you could sell me one! (Or one of the Omnima boxed and ready to go). Noted about the lack of numeric co-processor, though.