David J Taylor wrote:
"Evandro Menezes" <evan...@mailinator.com> wrote in message news:b3618b89-24cd-44a9-8e25-78887d18e...@f12g2000yqn.googlegroups.com...
On Jan 21, 2:52 pm, "David J Taylor" <david-tay...@blueyonder.delete-
this-bit.and-this-part.co.uk.invalid> wrote:

BTW: I still have systems running which are older than Core2, one still has
an Intel PIII 550MHz (and keeps good time as a stratum-1 server with
Windows 2000).

I guess that it would qualify for a low-power processor these days, so
who cares about managing its power and messing with its TSC?

;-)

Low-power in what sense?  Work done, or watts consumed?  <G>

I would still very much like to have a low-powered (watts) system running NTP perhaps with a good (for timekeeping) FreeBSD version. Something the size of a home router, with a serial port for the GPS. Looking for better than (say) ten microsecond accuracy. About US $100-150.

I think that that the closest you can come "off the shelf" would be a Laptop. You are not likely to find one in that price range.

PHK has created GPS clocks using a "single board computer" and a GPS receiver. I don't know what it cost him. See:
http://phk.freebsd.dk/soekris/pps/