"David Lord" <sn...@lordynet.org> wrote in message news:7usc5dfhg...@mid.individual.net...
[]
I mentioned radioclkd(2) both of which in debug mode
display state of selected pin (dcd cts dsr or rng).

radioclkd -s poll -d -v ttyS00:dcd

This gives time at each pulse edge.

I'm sure there are other programs that do a better job
for debugging serial data.

For serial data on Windows, I've captured serial output
by  using second serial port and a two headed (9pin + 25pin
at both ends) modem cable that splits the cable for you.

David

Thanks for that, David. I've used a similar cable that came with, IIRC, LapLink.

I was really thinking of a program with an LED-style display, emulating a breakout box, but showing what was on the serial port (control) pins, sampling at 50Hz or so. It sounds as if something like this would be useful to answer the questions:

- is my DCD connection showing a PPS signal?

- does my USB connection, emulating a serial port over USB, also honour the DCD line?

I would knock something up if there were enough interest, but it would be a Windows program so of limited interest to the OP.