"Rob" <nom...@example.com> wrote in message []
It probably uses Emacs-style key bindings.  That can be very frustrated
for users that are not familiar with Emacs. I remember trying to install
some Linux distribution, I think it was debian, and giving up after
a while for the same reason.
There is a Gnu program called "info" that is promoted as a replacement
for "man" which has the same problem.  Impossible to use.

When you want a Unix-like system which has a bit more userfriendly system
administration it may be better to go for Linux.  Many distributions
have come a long way in the system installation and administration corner,
they arguably are better than Windows today.

(many Windows users who install Linux and complain about the complexity
of the installation actually have not installed Windows, it came installed
on their computer)

Thanks for the suggestions, Rob. I could do what I needed with vi - only just, and not particularly easily. I've never used "man", I tend to have an open Web browser nearby instead. Couldn't have done that all those years ago when I first ran UNIX systems (pre-Linux, even). I'm only after good timekeeping - everything else I need to do I can do with Windows, but I note how improved it has become. BTW: I installed both Windows-7 and FreeBSD on this box, and managed to get it to dual-boot.