On 2010-06-16, Marcelo Pimenta <marcelopiment...@gmail.com> wrote:
> 2010/6/15 unruh <un...@wormhole.physics.ubc.ca>
>
>> On 2010-06-14, Marcelo Pimenta <marcelopiment...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Hi everybody!!
>> >
>> > My question is about Time Accuracy of NTP/SNTP protocol. I want to know
>> if
>> > is possible to have precision of 1ms(could be < 1 ms?) using SNTP in a
>> > network with 50 hosts(is the same with 100 hosts?) using only swithes, no
>> > routing. All these hosts are syncronized with a Meinberg GPS. The traffic
>> is
>> > low(~25%). Is it possible to have the same time accuracy of IRIG-B for
>> > example?
>>
>> I think you mean accuracy of 1ms. Yes. it can. On a local network,
>> 100usec is easily possible ( and depending on the routers, it can be
>> better than that).
>>

> Yes, you are right, accuracy of 1ms. On a local network 100usec?? Even if we
> use only switches(no routers), how is that possible if I have 4 types of
> Latency increasing about 80us? Algorithms to compensate the delay? Even in
> SNTP?

ntp relies on the outgoing and ingoing times are the same. They could be one
year, but if they are both exactly the same ( both exactly one year)
ntp can deliver a time accuracy of 1nsec.
Yes, I typically get time accuracies of tens of usec on a local network.
Even over adsl frin home to work  I get 1 msec easily ( and yes I can detect
the accuracy by
having a gps PPS receiver at both endw to test the accuracy to 1us)

level)