"Mr Dave Baxter" <g8...@uko2.co.uk> wrote in message news:mpg.26854e5ff4b4b56a989...@aioe.org...
Hi All.

As people on here seem to know about all this, a question if I may.

This came up while in discussion with another party, in regards to
potential "steps" in time caused by allowing w32time to do the job,
instead of a custom app, or "feature" in yet another program.

What I'd like to ask, is how does w32time manipulate the local PC's
clock.

Does it just set the updated time into the system at each poll (about 8
in 18 hours the last time I looked)

Or does it tweak the tick rate, to bring the local clock behaviour into
line with the reference source (in this case, a GPS/PPS derrived local
NTP server) elsewhere on the LAN (one switch away.)

Or, a combination of the above.

Are there known differences between the different versions of Windows?
(2k, XP, Vista, 7 etc)

Cheers All.

Dave B.
G0WBX(G8KBV)

Dave,

Early versions of W32time (up to XP, but I'm not 100% sure) just stepped the clock, with a default update interval of 8 days. Over a week! Later versions (Server 2003 and later, I believe) had more NTP-like behaviour, but did not conform to the management protocols of NTP (so you can't check the offset), didn't use ntp.conf, couldn't be used as ref-clocks, and likely didn't conform in dozens of other respects.

As the reference version of NTP was available for Windows by then, replacing W32time with reference NTP was an obvious automatic first step after installing Windows.

You may find this article of interest:
 http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc773263%28WS.10%29.aspx

73,