David,

"...pretending to be a mathematical treatise..." Let's take a closer
look at that judgment. The RFC is based on a document I wrote five years
ago. That document was carefully typeset with equations, figures and
tables for precise engineering description. The IETF required a
text-only document which I declined to produce. Some may recall the
violent confrontation when I refused to produce a text-only version of
rfc1305, which is available only in PostScript and PDF.

The volunteer editors that morphed that document to IETF requirements
should be highly commended for their patient work over the ensuing
years. If you find the equation markup distasteful, please take your
concerns to the IETF. All other standards bodies known to me have no
such text-only requirements and happily embrace PDF markup.

If on the other hand your judgment extend to the mathematical work
itself, much of it is extracted from my 1996 book and elaborated in my
new book to appear in September. If you find errors or omissions in the
development, please advise.

Dave

David Woolley wrote: