David J Taylor wrote:

I do recall Dave Hart looking at an issue like this where a PPS signal and, say, an Internet NTP source were available, so it's quite possible it has now been addressed. Sorry to hear about the compiling problems.

Thanks for that as it prompted me to have another try.

By chance I noticed the lack of base system sources and also
/usr/local/bin on the pc I'd tried to build on previously so
copied 4.2.6p2-RC4 over to my regular build pc.

A couple of minutes later I had compiled ok and ntp appeared
to start.

Then I noticed a tgz of the binaries on the first pc,
which is the missing output of what I thought was a
failed install.

DOH

I'll leave it running for a few days then try on the pc
with the gps.