Joseph Gwinn wrote:
I have a small network of Windows XP (64 bit) running simulations, with NTPv4 running on all the boxes and using a GPS-based timeserver on the company network. The ping time to the server is 2 milliseconds from my desk, but I'm seeing random time errors of order plus/minus 5 to 10 milliseconds, based on loopstats data.

Loopstats data cannot give you an accurate measure of error when ntpd is locked on. It will give a value that is distinctly pessimistic. If ntpd could measure the actual error, it ought to be possible for it to remove that error.