"Dave Hart" <h...@ntp.org> wrote in message news:aanlktik573dg1o5+rqzgyyxi3-9kjnautawgcolfq...@mail.gmail.com...
[]
4.2.7p52, p53, and p54 each had initial convergence improvements from
Dr. Mills.  I encourage you to play with 4.2.7p54 or later and see for
yourself.  ntpd now eliminates the majority of the startup offset in 5
minutes (with a drift file) or 10 minutes (without).  During the
startup period, the frequency adjustment used to slew away the startup
offset is not retained, so there should be little "ringing".

Cheers,
Dave Hart

Thanks for that.  Judging by:

 http://www.satsignal.eu/mrtg/performance_ntp.php

it seems to me that the convergence is no better on PC Narvik (4.2.7p58) than on PC Bacchus (4.2.6p2). I'm running with exactly the same parameters as the earlier version having simply replaced all the binaries - are any new settings required for the new version?

PC Hydra is also running 4.2.7p58 and needed to be rebooted yesterday, and the transient seems to me little different to PC Bacchus. However, the variation in offset is much worse than your 4.2.4p6 (273) which is about the only version I'm happy with for Vista or Windows-7.