"Richard B. Gilbert" <rgilber...@comcast.net> wrote in message news:hvgdny984a8wclzrnz2dnuvz_tcdn...@giganews.com...
[]
AFAIK, *all* versions of NTPD require several hours to reach a stable state and a close approximation to the correct time. NTPD was designed for operation 24x365. Every time you shut down you will encounter a multi-hour settling period. The time will be *close* to correct within thirty minutes or so; getting within microseconds takes a good deal longer!

The solution is obvious: don't shut down! If you are in a situation where only 9-5, M-F operation is possible and microsecond accuracy is required, NTPD is probably the wrong tool for the job. See CHRONY. Its design goals are different and include fast startup.

Thanks, Richard. I normally run 24x7 here on the critical PCs, so I was simply responding to Dave Hart's suggestion to test the later version.

"4.2.7p52, p53, and p54 each had initial convergence improvements from Dr. Mills. I encourage you to play with 4.2.7p54 or later and see for yourself. ntpd now eliminates the majority of the startup offset in 5 minutes (with a drift file) or 10 minutes (without). During the startup period, the frequency adjustment used to slew away the startup offset is not retained, so there should be little "ringing"."

I had interpreted "initial convergence" as meaning that several hour period.

Chrony does not support Windows, and there are no plans to do so (according to 11.2 in their FAQ). It might be a nice client for portable PCs, although for my purposes the existing NTP for Windows is quite adequate for use on portables.