Bill,

You have absolutely no idea what you are talking about and you do reveal an abysmal lack of understudying of control theory. To incorporate past history in future controls when the current control variable is measured violates the time delay constrain. Go back to the books.

Dave

unruh wrote:

On 2010-11-04, David L. Mills <mi...@udel.edu> wrote:
Miroslav,

The NTP daemon purposely ignores the leftover from adjtime(). To do otherwise would invite massive instability. Each time an NTP update is received, a new offset estimate is available regardless of past history. Therefore, the intent is to ignore all past history and start with a fresh update. Note that the slew rate of adjtime() is not a factor with the kernel discipline.

That is of course a philosophical position, and a strange one. Clocks
are largely predictable systems ( that is why they are used as clocks).
Thus the past history is strongly determinative of what the future
behaviour will be. To act as if this is not true, that each now
measurement should be treated as if it completely disconnected with the
past is a strange way of treating a highly predictable system. That is
of course one of the key places where ntpd and chrony differ. The
evidence is that properly taking account of the past does not create "massive
instability"  but rather creates far more accurate discipling of the
clock than does past amnesia.
Dave