On Nov 13, 12:18 am, Steve Kostecke <koste...@ntp.org> wrote:
> On 2010-11-12, Harry <simonsha...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Nov 10, 9:36 pm, Steve Kostecke <koste...@ntp.org> wrote:
>
> >> Which associations are you attempting to "secure"? LAN client to LAN
> >> server? LAN server to remote time server?
>
> > "LAN server to remote time server." So, this LAN host will be a client
> > of the remote time server but will act as a local time server to other
> > hosts on the LAN.
>
> OK.
>
> I have to question the wisdom of using only one remote time server.
>
> As has been stated elsewhere you're better off using a large enough set
> of remote time servers (i.e. 4 or more) to allow NTP to detect and
> discard "false-tickers" (bad clocks). Multiple time sources also provide
> you with redundancy in the event of server failure/connectivity issues.
>
> If this is a case of regulatory compliance then you really ought to have
> the budget to solve the problem correctly (with GPS-synced NTP
> applicances).
>
> --
> Steve Kostecke <koste...@ntp.org>
> NTP Public Services Project -http://support.ntp.org/

Steve, appreciate your response.

My ntp.conf looks like this right now.
  server 0.asia.pool.ntp.org
  server 1.asia.pool.ntp.org
  server 2.asia.pool.ntp.org
I assume, then, that adding a couple more entries should address the
"4 or more" tip of yours and provide me a stable and accurate time...
enough to not necessitate the need for an MD5 authentication. Chuck
Swiger in a parallel incarnation of this question (sorry about that!)
has shared his wonderful insight on the similarity between (non-
maliciously) false and (maliciously) rogue tickers.