Arul Kumar Chellappan wrote:

In Linux, with ntp-4.2.2p1, I could see that NTP synced to local clock fine

ntpd can never sync to the local clock. When you select the local clock as source and there is no better source, ntpd makes no adjustments to the time, but reports the configured stratum and relatively low error statistics downstream.

I need to read what you wrote more fully to decide whether you have one of the rare cases where configuring the local clock makes sense, but, it many cases it has no benefit and can cause problems.