On 2011-04-30, Richard B. Gilbert <rgilber...@comcast.net> wrote:
> On 4/29/2011 10:39 PM, Chris Albertson wrote:
>> On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 5:02 PM, unruh<un...@wormhole.physics.ubc.ca>  wrote:
>>
>>> Can you not just shut off ntp and set the clock back or forward? Ie, do
>>> you care in that case if he clock tracks UTC or not?
>>
>> Point is not to be on exact UTC but still to keep a set of computer's
>> clocks all on the same wrong time.
>>

> What problem are you trying to solve?   What makes a wrong time better
> than the correct time?
>
> Please note that many Operating Systems can keep UTC internally and
> display whatever local time(s) is/are most convenient!

IF he just wants his computer to display the wrong time and he is
operating on a Linux/unix/... system, he could just devise a tzdata
entry to display the time as far off as he wants (Well, more than
99:59:59 off might not work). If he really wants his computer to run at
the wrong time, so he can pretend to put in bids much earlier than he
actually did for example ("Just look the timestamp from my computer,
which runs ntp, shows I got my tax return in on time!") then ntp is not
the way to do it.