Sorry, editing flub, the original message was at 13:18 UTC.

At a minimum to accomplish your stated goal your code should ensure
leap != 11 (that's normally displayed by ntpq in octal, so in

Sorry, ntpq uses binary display for leap (and octal for reach).  In
both cases the on-wire form is decimal.

Cheers,
Dave Hart

Noted, and I've passed that on. Creating a control packet (with no added buffer) is actually rather easy, and the reply is human-readable, plain text, which is most helpful. I will only need to monitor the "offset" and "leap" fields. I've passed on the information to the person who actually needs it, and we are both grateful for your time and replies.

Web:  http://www.satsignal.eu
Email: david-tay...@blueyonder.co.uk