On 2011-05-17, Frank Alsop <feal...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>    We have a relatively small network and are trying to use ntp
> peering and orphan mode and I have a couple of questions.  I have read
> the info at http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/orphan.html

That is the documentation for the current ntp-dev release.

Please use the documentation shipped with your version of NTP or the
documentation archived at http://doc.ntp.org/4.2.4

> but I am having trouble figuring out the correct "tos orphan" statement we
> should use.
>
> We have a time source at stratum 1.
> We have 4 "peers" at stratum 2
> We have multiple nodes at stratum 3
> We have multiple nodes at stratum 4
>
> So, in our ntp.conf file for the 4 stratum 2 "peered" nodes, we have
> "tos orphan 4".  At the website referred to above, we could infer that
> we need to use "tos orphan 5".  What stratum should we use in our
> orphan statement?

5 is the default orphan stratum. Use at least that (i.e. >= 5).

> Also, we are using 4.2.4p7.  At the following website,
> you could infer that we need a newer rev of ntp.
> http://support.ntp.org/bin/view/Support/OrphanMode
>
> This page seems to indicate we need at least 4.2.5p101, but at least
> to me, isn't perfectly clear.

The current stable release is NTP-4.2.6p3 and you are using NTP-4.2.4p7.
On the surface it does not look like there's much difference between
these two versions. But there is; substantial changes were made in the
4.2.5* development series.

Here's how you should be reading these versions:

NTP-4.2.4p7 == NTP-4 v2.4.7

NTP-4.2.6p3 == NTP-4 v2.6.3

If you want to use Orphan Mode you should upgrade to the current stable
release.

--
Steve Kostecke <koste...@ntp.org>