On 8/29/2011 5:38 PM, unruh wrote:
> On 2011-08-29, NPG <nat...@cmpublishers.com> wrote:
>> On 8/27/2011 1:16 PM, unruh wrote:
>>> On 2011-08-27, NPG <nat...@cmpublishers.com> wrote:
>
> First ask what your requirements are and then you can buy the equipment
> to meet those.  You do not want to find yourself in the position of the
> car buyer who drives his car to the shopping mall every Fri, but goes
> out and buys himself a Lotus.

LOL, I don't want to be in the position of continuous upgrades due to
insufficient planning / forethought.
However, I will concede a tendency toward massive overkill during planning.

I couple years ago I had to plan a project that would require 1TB of
storage over its lifetime.
The original plan was a $15,000 NetApp device.
When implemented it was a < $800 HP wx8400 Workstation with dual 500G
SAS drives.
:-)

> Meinberg also makes GPS receivers
> which are probably very reliable and robost-- probably more so than the Sure
> device. On the other hand you can buy something like 20 or more Sure
> units for one Meinberg.

That,s why it is a long range plan.

> Now if you are worried about keeping good time even in the face of a
> nuclear war, than it is quite possible that the WWV transmitter will
> remian on air longer than the GPS system will.
> Thus your accuracy may be poorer but your reliability in such cases
> higher.

I think I'd have bigger problems right then.
:-)

A Meinberg with GPS & WVV would be cool.
Something to do if I had the resources, but if I did, there would be
things more important to do.

I'm very impressed with the quality of the answers received in this group.
Thank you all, very much.

--
Sincerely,

Nathan Gibbs