On 2011-09-06, Chris Albertson <albertson.ch...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 10:34 AM, unruh <un...@wormhole.physics.ubc.ca> wrote:
>
>> You keep harping on pps. The OP does not have PPS. So the solution is a
>> non-starter. Perhaps if you were to send him a gift of a gps receiver
>> with pps he might be able to use it, but even then that is not sure
>> (company regulations, etc)
>
> The OP has an observatory with automated computer controls.  I assume
> an extra $30 to replace a GPS would not kill him.  Put the Garmin 18
> on a boat.  That is it's best use.

He has a device which does what he needs to do. You decide that he
really should do something that he says he does not want or need to do.
and should therefor buy something else.
I am sure that if you sent him a pps and helped him to set that up on a
Sun hardware he would appreciate it. Otherwise why not help him do what
he, not you, wants to do.

There is a tinker variable (step) which alters the .128 sec step limit
to whatever you want (including infinity if you set it to 0)
So you might want to increase it to a few seconds for the nmea input.
Then just use the nmea input from say gpsd to run ntpd on your system.