From: Miroslav Lichvar [mailto:mlich...@redhat.com]
Sent: Thursday, 8 December 2011 10:41 PM
To: questions@lists.ntp.org
Subject: Re: [ntp:questions] New ntp Server

On Thu, Dec 08, 2011 at 03:55:50AM +0000, Mark C. Stephens wrote:
> Oh no I am quite happy with my hp3325A ;)
>

> Well Okay, after a slight detour trying to get ilo100 to work, I loaded
> centos 6.0 x64 on the DL165 G2 (computer) and found it has 3.3V PCI slots. So
> none of my Serial I/O cards fit, being 5V. I have seen people take a dremel
> to them to cut a 3.3V notch, but I am not a 100% sure this works.
>
> Centos 6.0 is really impressive I have to say. Also the PPS kernel module is
> already built and installed, just need to load it.

The kernel includes general PPS support, but there is no support for PPS on
serial devices (pps_ldisc module). You'll probably need to use a newer version
of kernel or backport the module to the old version.
You'll also need to recompile the ntp package with the timepps.h header.

It might be easier to try a newer distro. For instance, Fedora 14 and later
have kernel, ntp and chrony packages compiled with PPS support and it should
work out of the box, even with SELinux enabled :).

--
Miroslav Lichvar