On 2012-03-01, David J Taylor <david-tay...@blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote:
>> Teh standard is the Gamin GPS 18x (make sure to get a newer unit or you
>> will have to upload a patch to it to fix the problem that it sometimes
>> sends teh nmea sentences too late). The Sure I am getting worried
>> about-- I thin kthe antenna they send with it is defective sometimes.
>
> Bill,
>
> Yours is the only Sure I have heard about with (perhaps) an antenna

Another user reported similar problems. I have two of them. The other
one seems to work fine.

I have written to Sure and gotten no response yet.

> problem.  Whilst bearing in mind that this is a consumer-level antenna,
> have you asked for a replacement if your unit is less than a year old?
>
> As you say, for some considerable time Garmin was sending out GPS 18x LVC
> units with faulty firmware.  Version 3.70 is OK, though.

Yes, I heard that they had fixed things. But some suppliers might have
old stock.

> Whilst the Oncore UT+ which Chris mentions may have better ultimate
> performance, I don't think you will see the difference in an NTP
> application on the great majority of PCs.  It doesn't come with an

Agreed. Persuading a PC to respond to the interrupt in under 1us would
be pretty good work (mine are more like 2-20us response time)