"Harlan Stenn" <st...@ntp.org> wrote in message news:e1satsh-000mhb...@stenn.ntp.org...
My take is the precision output might say your device is -19 so you
know its accuracy is around 2/microseconds. But the offset several
decimal places allows you to see its ever changing accuracy within
that 2/microsecond band to a greater detail than just -1, 0, or 1
microseconds. I guess its just a matter of getting more granular
details for cool MRTG charting. :)

Except it's not - it's really just "noise" and one must be careful about
interpreting it as "signal".

Until you can measure it you don't really know. Suppose the -19 reported by NTP isn't actually the correct value for the system?