OWAMP can refer to One-Way Active Measurement Protocol,
see http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc4656, or the tool that follows
that protocol to measure one-way delay,
see http://www.internet2.edu/performance/owamp/

NREN, as stated before, means National Research and Education Network.

@unruh: yes, I was talking in the range of microseconds,
not single microsecond accuracy!
This is the current output of ntpq -p on X1 server:

[alias@x1 ntp]# ntpq -p
     remote           refid      st t when poll reach   delay   offset  jitter
*time01.nren.pt  .DCFa.           1 u    7   16  377    5.661    0.021   0.015
 time02.nren.pt  .DCFa.           1 u    6   16  377    1.240    0.078   0.026
 time04.nren.pt  .DCFa.           1 u    2   16  377    2.324    0.102   0.009
 time03.nren.pt  .DCFa.           1 u    -   16  377    8.757    0.109   0.011

If the delay, offset and jitter values are shown in milliseconds,
I am led to believe X1 currently has an offset to time01 stratum
1 server of 21 microseconds, right? If S1 has the same offset,
I can expect a maximum error of 42 microseconds on the owd
measurements, ignoring the errors caused by the delay asymmetry.
Is this correct?

Pedro