On 09/12/2012 17:59, Jeroen Mostert wrote:
[]
Yeah, no. I categorically refuse to "upgrade" my OS (at a non-zero cost)
and then "install some extra stuff" just to make it *acceptable* again.
That's just insane. I guess if you need the new features in Windows 8,
it might be worth considering the time and effort, but at present I know
of no such features. The increased clock accuracy isn't one.

I'm waiting for Windows NT 6.3, or 7.0, whatever the marketing name ends
up being. If that still has Metro, I'll see how I'll compensate. But I'm
hoping it won't.
[]
I work for a Windows shop with too much money and too little time. It's
going to be a spare server we had lying around; suggesting folks get
enthusiastic with hardware that's not from Dell isn't going to fly. :-)
So the Raspberry Pi is out, and upgrading to a stratum 1 only if there's
a demonstrable need.

This is all basically a spare time effort from me, to enable more
accurate performance analysis of cross-server events. It's not exactly
mission critical, but nice to have. There was a significant period of
time where we had no time syncing whatsoever, and we only started to run
into problems when one machine was 19 seconds off from actual time. I
then configured w32time on all machines, but w32time is not particularly
robust. Microsoft itself admits it's just there to make sure Kerberos
doesn't completely fail, and as long as it keeps time within 5 minutes
from a domain controller they don't care. I'm now at a point where I
think machines deviating from each other for more than 10 ms is
annoying, so that won't do anymore.
[]
Statistics like those would be more than acceptable for my purposes.
Your worst stats would be good enough for me.
[]
It's actually going to be far heavier than is necessary, but I'm
confident it'll get the job done.

I'm on a subscription for the Windows OS, and many of my customers are now upgrading to WIndows-8, or buying new PCs woth that OS, so I really have no choice to invest. Windows-7 is a fine OS for general purpose work and, if asked, I don't see any need for folk to upgrade. In fact Windows XP has many advantages as a lighter-weight OS than Win-7.

Of course, if you have a Dell spare box, use that. Linux or FreeBSD. I used to be in a similar job myself, and actually introduced my branch of the company to NTP, which we used on both Windows and UNIX boxes. We were a DEC shop, but whether we ever got round to NTP on VMS I don't recall. I do recall Spring and Autumn events involving time, so perhaps we did not.

My aim is to be within 1 millisecond, as the events my systems record have a resolution of 1 ms. It's nice, but not essential, to be able to correlate events across four separate satellite data reception systems.

Glad the stats were of some help, and glad to have had the chat.
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu