Folks,

I've tried to follow this in the code, but it's beyond me, I'm afraid!

Given:
1 - the modified serialpps.sys device driver is installed
2 - the support DLL is present
3 - the environment variable points to the support DLL

is it necessary to add the ATOM driver to the ntp.conf file? I.e. do you /need/ a line such as:

  server  127.127.22.1  minpoll 4

to ensure that the kernel-mode driver is used? My testing on one Windows-8/64 system suggest that the driver is used whether or not a type 22 driver is specified, given the conditions above. I'm not complaining about this, just wondering whether anyone may be able to confirm that from the source code.

The question arose because adding the line made no improvement to the jitter, which initially made me think that the driver was not being used, but further tests suggest it's the opposite - that the driver is being used whether you asked for it explicitly or not. Of course, given (1)..(3) above does rather suggest you want the kernel-mode, so the behaviour makes sense, even if it is a little confusing.

[Yes, FreeBSD and Linux behave differently.]
--
Thanks,
David