unruh <un...@invalid.ca> wrote:
> On 2013-03-05, Rob <nom...@example.com> wrote:
>> David Woolley <david@ex.djwhome.demon.invalid> wrote:

>>> It is not seen as something anyone would want to do.
>>
>> I could understand why someone would want to run one instance that
>> controls the clock, and another instance that only serves time to
>> clients on the (inter)net and cannot control the clock.
>
> You could? I cannot. ntpd both controls the clock and serves time. Why
> would you want to split those?

Because the users of the clock service may be able to disturb that
service, e.g. by overloading it, by making it crash sending it invalid
requests, etc.  Some people may consider the service to keep their own
clock correct to be more important than the service to tell time to
others.

Seeing the reply that the OP posted in the meantime, I was not too far
off.  He wants a separation between the internal use of NTP to sync
the local and other important systems, from the service to give time
to others.

I think it is a reasonable wish.  Certainly not something that nobody
would want to do.

  • [ntp:questions... Abu Abdullah
    • Re: [ntp:... E-Mail Sent to this address will be added to the BlackLists
      • Re: [... Abu Abdullah
        • R... David Woolley
          • ... Rob
            • ... unruh
              • ... E-Mail Sent to this address will be added to the BlackLists
              • ... Rob
                • ... unruh
                • ... Rob
                • ... Abu Abdullah
                • ... unruh
                • ... E-Mail Sent to this address will be added to the BlackLists
                • ... Abu Abdullah
                • ... unruh
                • ... Uwe Klein
                • ... Rob