What should the poll be for the shared memory driver (type 28)? This Web page:

  http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/drivers/driver28.html

suggests that the driver internally has a poll interval of 1 second, another document I've seen suggests setting:

  server 127.127.28.1 minpoll 1 prefer

and yet in the ntpq -p billboard the poll is shown as 8 seconds. Loopstats are reported at 8 second intervals, and the poll interval is shown as 3 (i.e. 8 seconds).

I'm confused!  What should be the correct setting in the ntp.conf file?

BTW: this comes about from Folkert van Heusden who is using a user-mode program to make NTP on a Raspberry Pi more precise, i.e. providing PPS support without having to modify the kernel. See:

  http://www.febo.com/pipermail/time-nuts/2013-June/077484.html
--
Thanks,
David