On 2013-06-17, David Taylor <david-tay...@blueyonder.co.uk.invalid> wrote:

> another document I've seen suggests setting:
>
>    server 127.127.28.1 minpoll 1 prefer
>
> and yet in the ntpq -p billboard the poll is shown as 8 seconds.
> Loopstats are reported at 8 second intervals, and the poll interval is
> shown as 3 (i.e. 8 seconds).

grepping the source tree is very informative...

According to ./ntpd/ntp_peer.c:

/*
 * It is an error to set minpoll less than NTP_MINPOLL or to
 * set maxpoll greater than NTP_MAXPOLL. However, minpoll is
 * clamped not greater than NTP_MAXPOLL and maxpoll is clamped
 * not less than NTP_MINPOLL without complaint. Finally,
 * minpoll is clamped not greater than maxpoll.
 */

And in ./include/ntp.h we find:

:#define NTP_MINPOLL     3       /* log2 min poll interval (8 s) */

--
Steve Kostecke <koste...@ntp.org>