On 02/07/2013 02:14, Edward T. Mischanko wrote:

"folkert"  wrote in message
[]

A)
server 127.127.28.0 minpoll 4
fudge  127.127.28.0 refid NMEA
server 127.127.28.1 minpoll 4 prefer
fudge  127.127.28.1 refid PPS

B) > Don't you need this for PPS?

server 127.127.28.0 minpoll 3 prefer
fudge 127.127.28.0 time2 0.275 refid NMEA
server 127.127.22.0 minpoll 3
fudge 127.127.22.0 refid PPS

These are two different ways of getting the PPS timestamp into NTP. As I understand it:

(A) requires that gpsd has some way of getting the PPS timestamps into one of its shared memory segments. The only time I've used this is with a program of Folkert's which worked on the Raspberry Pi to read the timestamp when a GPIO pin changed in user-mode, and insert that timestamp into gpsd's second segment (numbered 1).

Aside: I couldn't find a description of using units 0 and 1 with the type 28 shared memory driver. It seems that the timestamps in unit 0 may be from the serial NMEA data, and those in unit 1 from the PPS data, and hence the "prefer" on unit 1. Perhaps someone could confirm this. I looked at:

  http://www.eecis.udel.edu/~mills/ntp/html/drivers/driver28.html

(B) requires that the OS support PPS transitions, and could be tested with a command such as Folkert gave:

# cat /sys/devices/virtual/pps/pps0/{assert,clear}
1372528130.997131540#54
1372528131.097120120#54

I think most people try to use this with the OS kernel supporting PPS, to give better results than with user-mode support.

That's about the limit of my knowledge and could easily be wrong!
Web: http://www.satsignal.eu