> >> []
> >>
> >> Thanks for the information, Bill.  My only additional comment is that
> >> the code to timestamp the PPS /can/ be in user-mode, although
> >> kernel-mode is preferable.  Additional Linux modules are /not/ required.
> >
> > ?? To timestamp the interrupt, you need kernel land. Ie, you need a
> > module. Now you can use one of the modules others have written or you
> > can write your own. But userland cannot get any sort of accuracy trying
> > to figure out when and if a hardware line has been pulled up or not.
>
> You may think that, but gpsd does it that way and it works surprisingly
> well.

I'm not entirely sure of that.
On Linux it uses the kernel pps-api. So the kernel makes a note when an
interrupt came in and gpsd requests these values from the kernel. That's
why it opens /dev/ppsX

Folkert van Heusden

--
www.TrustedTimestamping.com is a service that enables you to show that
at a certain point in time, you had access to a hash-value reflecting