schmidt.r...@gmail.com wrote:
I do the latter. To use PTP to timestamp one would have to modify NTP
source outside of refclock_phc(), which we would not presume to do.
However the PHC loopstats has a standard deviation of 0.58
microseconds, so we are not far off in using standard NTP
timestamping.

OK!

It is extremely sad that history have saddled us with extremely poor motherboard clock crystals, but now, more than 30 years after the original IBM PC, we're getting something which is a couple of orders of magnitude better, but as a pure side-effect of the need to time network packets. :-(

Terje

Rich Schmidt

Do you use the PTP hw to also timestamp actual ntp packets, or just
the

onboard tcxo (or whatever the LAN card osc is) as a stable time
base?

Terje

--
- <Terje.Mathisen at tmsw.no>