On 2014-04-28 18:37, Brian Inglis wrote:
> On 2014-04-28 17:53, A C wrote:
>> Has anyone recently (within the last few months) tried installing the
>> Meinberg compiled ntpd on Win 7 successfully?  I just built a new
>> machine, put a clean copy of Win 7 on it, tried to install ntpd and
>> ended up with the "unable to start" error (number 1053).  The ntpd user
>> account was created, the service was installed, the directories were
>> populated, the config file was generated but it wouldn't start.
>
> Which release - current stable 4.2.6p5 - or previous?
> Did you check to see if the process was already running under
> TaskManager all users processes?
> Does the ntp userid have access rights to the config, log, and stats
> directories?
> Are you running on W7 32 or 64 bit?

It's 64 bit Win 7.  The version is the one available on Meinberg's site
(4.2.6p5).  The process was not running when it attempted to start after
installation.  All access controls were fine.

The registry looked the same as below, too.  It just refused to start.
Restarts didn't help either.  All the things one might expect to be
incorrect were fine, it simply refused to start.