Part of this thread has gone OT.
I don't think this is the right list to be discussing this. the Leap Second
Discussion List <leaps...@leapsecond.com> is available for exactly this debate.

However, that said, here's my 2 cents.

As has been mentioned, UTC with leaps seconds, has been defined to track UT1
and thus solar time. The reason why it hasn't been fiddled with for a while, is
the  very fact that it tracks Solar time, and  has become the basis of legal
times globally. Many people, including up to now a majority of those voting at
ITU-R, consider it essential that the legal time scale should represent human
experience and rhythms, and not machine ticks. The lobby for change is
essentially basing its arguments on experiences of bad engineering and sloppy
systems design. The argument being that it would cost less to ignore leap
seconds.

For me, there is no reason that we cannot keep UTC with leap seconds, for 2 or
3 hundred years if necessary, while a replacement is designed which will keep
the solar link. However we need not wait that long as VLBA measurements of
variations in the earths rotation are approaching real time ( already < hourly
IIRC ). So it would be simple to include corrections, in terms of a frequency
adjustment, in the GPS stream ( space is available). That correction could then
be exploited by next gen GPS receivers and client software ( NTP).
Those who got this far before pressing delete, will have noted that it requires
a change in the definition of UTC, to abandon the link between the SI second
and legal time. Why not? SI secs would still be available from the GPS stream.

See you on the leapsecs list maybe.

Mike