> Would it be useful to offer an "official" minimal implementation
> intended for embedded systems so that these people won't feel the need
> to code their own?  Maybe add minimal NTP support to Busybox?

Actually, Busybox does have a ntp daemon... Where the code comes from I do not
know. I've tried running it on a couple
residential-grade routers and to be honest it runs like crap. Running it as a
server (in theory to re-distribute time to your lan)
is even worse and basically useless and a waste of resources. I can't really
say if it is the hardware or software that is the
problem because I never bothered to try and diagnose it any deeper.

It's been a while since I've looked over any ntp-like code in some of the open
source router projects. Most are more concerned with
other features than getting the router's clock to nanosecond precision. Like I
said before, most are just some hack of ntpdate to
get the time and run as a cron job every few hours.

I think if the NTP people wanted to help mitigate what most of the headaches &
issues are out on the net, they would work with the
big networking companies to ensure their code is compliant with what is
acceptable communications & error handling. One small
mistake in their code has serious repercussions when they churn out these
devices by the tens of thousands (or more) before catching
their error...