William Unruh wrote:
Ie, once ATOM has been selected, it should remain selected, unless it
also gets switched of for a few hours, or there is a disagreement
between ATOM and some other selected clock source by more than a second.

On the other hand, if the PPS signal is bound to a certain time source and that time source starts freewheeling the 1 PPS signal also starts to drift, and that may *not* be what you want.

If I remember correctly we had a discussion here quite some time ago where ntpd enabled kernel PPS when a GPS receiver+PPS was synchronized, but didn't disable kernel PPS when the GPS receiver lost its input signal. The PPS from the GPS receiver started to drift away and also pulled the kernel time away.

So as usually it always depends on some preconditions, i.e. if the PPS signal is still reliable in case the associated prefered peer goes away, or not.

Martin
--
Martin Burnicki

Meinberg Funkuhren