On 2014-07-31, Martin Burnicki <martin.burni...@meinberg.de> wrote:

> Unlike otherwise stated in this thread I don't think it's a good idea to
> leave the 1 PPS signal alone disciplining the time of the NTP server.
> This can easily yield unforeseen problems, similarly as if you use an
> IRIG time reference which only provides day-of-year and time-of-day, but
> no year number. If you don't take care then such signal can be accepted
> and provide a "valid" time which is off by an integral number of years.

My point is that most of the internal clocks on computers are well able
to maintain the time to better than a second for a long time, even if
they were freewheeling, and if disciplined by a PPS, they are able to
maintain the time forever (well, until the next power failure anyway).
Now, it is certainly true that that provides no redundancy and there are
situations in which you could be let astray, but that is also true even
if you have 5 time sources.  Ie, a PPS source on its own is quite
capable of disciplining the system to microsecond accuracy even if all
other time sources disappear, as long as they are there to deliver the
seconds initially. To have PPS be discarded just because the supplier of
seconds goes offline seems far far too extreme to me. Note that the
supplier of seconds could even be a human setting the clock by hand
intially. (one could do that to within certianly less than half a
second).

> I don't think this would be acceptable for environments where an
> accurate precise time is most important.

Of course, the greater the redundnacy, the better.

Anyway, your proposals seem very sensible to me, and encompass my use
case above.