A C wrote:
I saw the advisory about the potential issues in ntpd before 4.2.8 but I
don't quite understand whether it affects a pure client (not serving
time to the outside) or not.

If the issue does affect client-only operation, what can be done for
systems that can't be upgraded?

As far as I understand the reports on bugzilla the main vulnerabilities are in functions where signed packets (symmetric key or autokey) are received/checked, or dynamic/remote configuration via ntpq and/or ntpdc is enabled, which, as far as I know also requires some sort of crypto top be enabled.

So from my understanding disabling crypto in ntp.conf should avoid the main vulnerabilities as a first, quick step.

Martin