Quoting Rob (nom...@example.com):
> > What is actually wrong with running ntpdate to initially sync a clock?
> The problem is that you give the clock an initial kick that ntpd does
> not know about, and it tends to have problems correcting that.
> This sometimes results in the problems you are seeing.

But i cant use ntpdate is ntpd is still running because the socket/port
is already bound. But this possibly follows up on your 'the OS might
keep track of drift/frequencies'-quote at the end of your mail.

I'll keep it in mind.

> >> c) It seems that you have an ntp.drift file which contains "500"!
> > Indeed i did. That file was probably written by ntpd after the first run
> > going completely haywire. I removed it from the configuration.
> Did you stop ntpd, then remove the file, then start ntpd again?

Yes. ;)

> I know on VMware it works "OK", but for Windows that "OK" is never nearly
> as good as for Linux.  A Linux system will remain within a few ms, for
> Windows 60ms is not bad at all.

Can others on this list running ntpd on Windows concur?

> Also not that on Linux, the more you poke it the more it starts to
> misbehave.  I think ntpd feeds correction data into the kernel that it
> remembers in memory, but the kernel remembers it between boots.

Yeah, i'm aware that ntp needs time (*hurhur*) to 'settle down'.