On 2015-02-16, Rob <nom...@example.com> wrote:
> William Unruh <un...@invalid.ca> wrote:
>> On 2015-02-15, Rob <nom...@example.com> wrote:
>>> I am experimenting with chrony 1.31 as an alternative on some PPS
>>> synchronized servers.   It appears to run OK, it is tracking very nicely:
>>>
>>> Reference ID    : 80.80.83.48 (PPS0)
>>> Stratum         : 1
>>> Ref time (UTC)  : Sun Feb 15 22:34:01 2015
>>> System time     : 0.000000076 seconds fast of NTP time
>>> Last offset     : +0.000000085 seconds
>>> RMS offset      : 0.000000751 seconds
>>> Frequency       : 10.014 ppm slow
>>> Residual freq   : -0.004 ppm
>>> Skew            : 0.042 ppm
>>> Root delay      : 0.000000 seconds
>>> Root dispersion : 0.000017 seconds
>>> Update interval : 16.0 seconds
>>> Leap status     : Normal
>>>
>>> However, it does not reply to NTP requests from other systems with ntpd.
>>> (I can confirm that in a network trace)
>>>
>>> The config includes:
>>>
>>> allow       0/0
>>
>> Try 0.0.0.0/0
>> instead.
>> Or allow 192.168.0.0/16
>
> The 0/0 is from the manual.  It is specified to allow all sources.
> As I wrote:
> I have also tried other allow lines, like allow 192.168.42.0/24 for the
> subnet it is on.  No difference.
>
> Note that it processes the cmdallow with the same subnet OK, i.e. I can
> use chronyc from another computer, but it does not reply to time requests
> from that computer.   Before, when ntpd was running, it worked.  There
> is no firewall that drops the packets.

As I said I have six machines, one of which is at home over an cable
modem line, all getting their time from chrony on a server. No trouble
whatsoever, and I have never had any. This suggests that there is
something else going on. Now, I do not have the very latest chrony
running on my server (1.29.1) so it is possible that there is a bug in
your version.

Unfortunately I cannot test the latest right now.

But you could try going to an earlier version and seeing if the problem
persists. If it does not, then please file a bug report.