William Unruh <un...@invalid.ca> wrote:
>> In the specific case of PPS I don't see any advantage.
>
> Well, no. Lichvar did some tests with PPS and found that chrony
> disciplined the clock much better than did ntpd (factors of over 10). I
> think that is a difference.

I am seeing the same thing on our PPS synchronized servers.
When the temperature changes, the swing observed in time offset is about
a factor of 10 less with chrony than with ntpd.
With ntpd the excursions are up to about 3us, with chrony up to about 300ns.
With chrony there is just a random offset sometimes, with ntpd the
derivative of the temperature can clearly be seen in the offset plots.

And I have not yet configured the temperature compensation in chrony.
(first have to figure out how to calibrate it)