Jan Ceuleers writes:
> Using dig on a sample of the pool it seems that DNS queries to the
> pool only ever return 4 entries. So if ntpd relies on there being
> around 10 servers for some of its monitoring capabilities to kick in
> then we seem to have a bit of a disconnect.

This is interesting.  It may be that only 4 responses are returned at a
time, but there has been lots of evidence and experience that depending
on your resolver (most resolvers, from what I've seen), you won't get
the same responses each time (this point assumes there are more than 4
answers to be had).

If the number of answers returned is a local policy choice, then it may
well be that one may need multiple pool lines in the ntp.conf file.  If
"more" answers are returned or if the answers are randomized each time,
a single pool line may be all that is required.
--
Harlan Stenn <st...@ntp.org>