David Taylor writes:
> On 21/02/2015 11:40, Harlan Stenn wrote:
> > David Taylor writes:
> >> Thanks, Mike.  We are carrying out some tests, but it means leaving the
> >> computer down for at least several hours, and we've been trying about 24
> >> hours down so far, so progress isn't rapid!  If flag1 allows
> >> off-the-network operation after several days outage, that will be fine,
> >> but I will have to document it on my Web page.
> >
> > Again, making corrections like this only on your web pages is
> > counter-productive.
> >
> > It *hurts* NTP when incorrect information on the wiki or in the docs is
> > not corrected.
> >
> > It *hurts* NTP when you take eyeballs away from our site, as we need all
> > the help we can get to motivate folks to join or donate.
>
> I think there's a misunderstanding here!  I am not saying that the
> information is incorrect, simply that I did not understand it.  Until
> further tests are completed (by someone else), I will not know whether
> the extra flag is useful in our circumstances.

OK, then I'll rephrase to say that it benefits us all when the
information on the NTP site is as good as possible, and it hurts the
project when eyeballs are pulled away to other sites.

> Do you consider "How to make an NTP server with a Raspberry Pi" to be
> appropriate material for your site?  It's the first I've heard of it, if
> so.  These are the two pages which I hope to update:
>
>    http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/Raspberry-Pi-quickstart.html
>    http://www.satsignal.eu/ntp/Raspberry-Pi-NTP.html

Yes, that is appropriate material for the site.  There are already pages
for how to build for certain other platforms, and there is some fairly
specific information about both hardware, BIOS, and software issues for
some very specific platforms.

Adding to that list on the support.ntp.org site *really* helps because
it gets people to look there first, and when they see that the content
has been added or improved by others they feel more comfortable adding
or improving content themselves.

Of course I do not actually *know* how other folks feel in this regard -
it's my belief.

> I can add a pointer to your site if you would like to suggest a suitable
> starting page.

The easy solution would be links to:

- www.ntp.org           The NTP Project Site
- support.ntp.org       The NTP Suppport Project
- nwtime.org/why-join   Become a supporting member of Network Time Foundation
- nwtime.org/donate     Donations to Network Time Foundation
- www.nwtime.org        The NTF main site

We're happy to help in this area and recognize the efforts of folks and
sites that help NTF be a success.
--
Harlan Stenn <st...@ntp.org>