On Feb 23, 2015, at 11:57 PM, David Woolley <david@ex.djwhome.demon.invalid>
wrote:
> On 23/02/15 21:23, William Unruh wrote:
>> manual corrections are probably good to 1 sec. to get 1 sec at 2ppm is
>> about 5 days per measurement or 10 days altogether.
>
> It's a long time since I did this, but 200ms is more like it (might have been
> 100ms).  You need  digital clock that is, itself, synchronised, and you match
> the rhythm of the ticks, then let one of them actually move the return key.
>
> You have to really believe in setting accurate time not just be following some
> instructions, to do this.

Threshold of perception for a new stimulus is around 80 - 100 ms.  Untrained
reaction
time thus tends to be somewhat longer, right around the timeframes you've
mentioned.

However, if you time things with a rhythm you can get to ~50 ms or better, and
subconscious muscle memory for practiced skills can involve timing on the order
of ~5 - 10 ms.  (Think of a ping-pong player who understands spin and can target
the corners of the table reliably, or a pinball player who can trap the ball on
the flipper and then make reliable controlled shots.)

Regards,
--
-Chuck