Folks,

A while ago we got a request from the embedded folks asking for a way to
limit the writing of the drift file unless there was a "big enough"
change in the value to warrant this.

Somebody came up with an interesting way to do this that involves
looking to see how much the drift value has changed and only writing the
value if the change was "big enough".

By my read of the code and the comments:

1) it looks like the code is implementing something other  than what the
comments want, and

2) what's described *or* implemented seems way more complicated than
what we need.

I'm wondering if we should just let folks specify a drift/wander
threshold, and if the current value is more than that amount we write
the file, and if the current value is less than that amount we don't
bother updating the file.  If folks are on a filesystem where the number
of writes doesn't matter, no value would be set (or we could use 0.0)
and it's not an issue.

Thoughts?

--
Harlan Stenn <st...@ntp.org>