OK, a fair amount of good stuff is being discussed.

Do we mostly all agree that the purpose of the drift file is to give
ntpd a hint as to the frequency drift at startup?

If so...

The current mechanism is designed to handle the case where ntpd is
restarted fairly quickly, so there's a good chance the same drift value
will work.

The reason for this is to get faster startup times.  If the value in the
drift file is "close enough" and the system is using iburst, ntpd will
synch the clock and be ready to go in about 11 seconds' time.  Otherwise
it can take 5 minutes or more.

If conditions are such that the value in the drift file is not "close
enough" to the correct value then we're looking at needing 5 minutes or
more to get the clock sync'd.

How much effort should we go thru to handle some of these situations?
--
Harlan Stenn <st...@ntp.org>